Childrens Home, Coach logo Helping Children take the next step
Coach Facebook Page Coach LinkedIn Page

WHAT WE DO

Introduction

The Coalition of Anglican Children’s Homes comprises an amalgamation of three children’s homes, namely, St George’s Home, St Nicolas Home and St Joseph’s Homes. The Children’s Homes have over 100 years of experience in providing residential and therapeutic care and support to children who have been placed in our care by the Children’s Court.

Summary

St George’s Home caters for Youth between the ages of 14 and 21 who have previously lived on the streets and cannot cope in mainstream school.

St Nicolas / St Joseph’s Homes caters for children between the ages of 5 and 18 who have been removed from the care of their families due to abuse and neglect.

History of the Homes

St George’s Home: The Anglican Church established St George’s Home in 1915 to care for destitute boys in Johannesburg. In 1985, it was decided to move away from institutionalised care for boys and houses were bought in the community. Girls were admitted into the programme and a more normal lifestyle was provided for these children who had been referred by the children’s courts. The houses were used for youth over the age of 16 and the programme was called Life Campus. Many of the youth were from street shelters and had little or no formal education.

An accredited Adult Basic Education Training (ABET) system was introduced and some of the youth were able to pass matric. Before leaving Life Campus, the youth that were over the age of 18 (and therefore not in the Social Welfare System as stipulated by the Act) are put into a six-month Exit Programme to teach them life skills in order for them to gain employment.

St Nicolas Home: St Nicolas Home was established by Brian Gannon in 1965 in response to children and families who were in need of care in Westbury and surrounding ‘coloured’ areas. The very socio-economic conditions in the community often resulted in young people being neglected and very often abused. In addition, alcoholism, abuse and gangsterism characterised the area.

St Joseph’s Home: St Joseph’s Children’s Home was originally known as ‘St Joseph’s Home for Coloured Children. It was founded as a Diocesan memorial to the ‘Coloured men of the Transvaal who made the supreme sacrifice’ during the Great War of 1914-1918. It was also consecrated to the memory of all ranks of the 1st Battalion Cape Corps who saw the active service in East Africa and Palestine and who gave their lives during that same war.

In the beginning, St Joseph’s Home was run by the Anglican Sisterhood. In 1978 the nuns left South Africa in protest against Apartheid and the home was run by lay-teachers. Originally many of the children housed at St Joseph’s Home were orphans, some as a result of the Great War and others who were abused by their parents. The children aged in range from toddlers to those in their late teens. They were still mostly coloured as they could be transported to the local schools. Eventually, as the teenagers approached adulthood, they would have to leave the Home. By that time, St Joseph’s Home had found families to assist them in their later lives.

© 2014 Coach Childrens Home is a registered non-profit organization. All Rights Reserved.
052-658 NPO - PBO 930 024 064

affordable website design by Web Design Auckland, Website Design, SEO Services